Agricultural Grading Permit

The County of San Luis Obispo teamed up with the RCD to offer agricultural grading permits through the Alternative Review Program (ARP). ARP is a low cost alternative to obtaining a county grading permit. The Alternative Review Permit process includes an Agricultural Grading Permit (in place of a County Grading Permit), environmental review, permit assistance with regulatory agencies and erosion control training. All work is confidential and non-regulatory. To apply, fill out an Application Form and submit it to the RCD or the County.

May contain: soil, outdoors, and nature

Eligible projects include:

  • Grading for new orchards
  • Vegetation removal on slopes greater than 30%
  • New agricultural roads
  • Streambank restoration
  • Conservation projects
  • Recreational trails
  • Waste management systems
  • Terracing for vineyards

“This process has gone very well and has restored my thoughts regarding the RCD. I am encouraged in working with you and will be confident in forwarding any future work to your care.” – Fred Watkins, JK Engineering

Additional Resources:

Should I get a permit from the RCD or the County?ARP Policies and Procedures